6 Tips for Back Pain Relief
Categories: Back Pain
At the Central Orthopedic Group of Long Island, we understand how back pain can put a damper on life. Whether you’re experiencing acute or severe back problems, relief is possible. Our expert orthopedists will suggest many of the following tips for back pain.
1. Daily Stretches
- Perform stretches on a flat surface.
- Hold your stretch for a minimum of 20-30 seconds
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- Listen to your body and don’t over do a stretch, if you feel pain stop.
2. Healthy Sleeping Patterns
Your body gets a chance to fully recover with a full nights rest. Additionally, a medium to firm mattress will support your back and relieve back pain. Furthermore, one of the key factors of back pain relief is your sleep position.
- Sleeping on your right or left side with a pillow in between your legs.
- On your back with a pillow directly under your knees.
- Although sleeping on your stomach isn’t recommended, if you must try placing a pillow underneath your pelvis.
3. Healthy Diet
- Sweet Potatoes
By doing the proper exercises you can circulate nutrients into your discs, this will help keep your muscles, ligaments and joints healthy. However, before exercising it’s important to consult your orthopedist. It’s important to avoid exercises that could make the situation worse. Additionally, the exercises necessary for back problems will differ for each individual. Another great benefit to excreting is building muscles in the back which will help to support it. The most common complaint we hear is lower back pain. There are many treatments available for lower back pain, including ones you can do at home or with an orthopedist.
5. Heating Pads
When it comes to back pain, heat therapy goes beyond simple warmth and relaxation. You can heating pads, hot baths, heat wraps or heated gel packs. Heat therapy will trigger the sensory receptors in your skin which in turn lowers the amount of pain signals to the brain. Additionally, heat therapy decreases muscle stiffness and increases flexibility.
6. Practicing Good Posture
Tips for Good Posture
- Keep your legs uncrossed and ankles in front of knees.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Allow your forearms to be parallel with the ground
- When standing keep weight on the balls of your feet
- Stand tall with your shoulders pulled backward.
These are just a few of the most common tips for relieving back pain. If you’re seeking treatment for back pain, contact the professionals at Central Orthopedics Long Island. We provide quality care and specialize in general orthopedics, hand surgery, physical therapy and much more. Our team of doctors will go above and beyond to ensure you receive the best possible treatment.